Monday, September 14, 2015

Writer's Workbook #6

Just Another Face in the Hallway
They were more than another face. They were my best friend. We spent all of our time together-talking, laughing, exchanging ideas and sharing food. They were the person I wanted to spend all my time with. I remember when they were simply another face, nameless and meaningless to me. But ever since that face was given a name and a story, I never wanted to forget it.

We helped each other develop our interests and even find more friends we would both like. To me however, they were still my number one. I guess, when all the evidence is together, it makes sense that we started to date. The crushes developed slowly (neither of us were big on romantic attraction), but after that the relationship tumbled down a steep slope that rarely let up on its speed.

I love that slope. No twists, no turns, just one slick track careening forward, driven by our sickeningly sweet love that made even our friends cringe. That slope was my favorite ride. Until it hit the biggest and most unexpected bend, sending them flying off and leaving me alone, wondering how that bend could even think to intervene on my slope. I’m still here on this slope, but no one is zipping down it with me anymore. They left not only my slide, but the whole playground of them. No one could fill the space with me, and I was still tumbling down, madly in love and alone.

I remember back to when they were just another face in the hallway, and wonder how such a blank slate to me could have brought me so much joy and wonder. How could a random stranger I just happened to sit next to in a class become the one person that meant the most to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment